wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:53:37 -0400

what's up y'all,
greetings from hopscotch! I'm currently sitting very close to a baby wearing a red hot chilli peppers onesie in a restaurant. he seems a little drunk!  if you're tuning in to anything other than the nearby music festival, by all means - make it WXYC 89.3 fm. let's see what's on tap this week:

Driving to Hopscotch? Turn on your freaking radio and listen to the Inside TrackFriday night at 9 PM.  This week you can catch a new release from Noura Mint Seymali. Noura Mint Seymali (or as some call her, “the Diva of Sahel") is a contemporary Moorish griot with heritage that makes her pretty much royalty in her home country of Mauritania. Located in northwest Africa, Mauritania is influenced by Arab and Black African cultures. Noura is able to link sounds from both of these cultures and it sit on on a groovy backbeat. Noura’s agile and powerfully smokey voice accompanied her husband, Jeiche Ould Chighaly (renowned blues guitar in the area) makes for a desert bluesy sound with a whole lot of contextual depth. As a ardine (9-string harp traditionally played by only women) player with a deep lineage in traditional Mauritanian music and , Noura is a tradition bearer to contemporary music. Noura’s success in her native country comes from the fact that Mauritania is one of the few places where traditional music is more supported profitable than pop music. Check it out!

On tonight's New Science Experience, WXYC DJs Karina and James will be tag teaming the wheels of steel spinning two continuous hours of house, disco, and boogie. Expect to hear sounds a la Dance Mania and Chicago's TRAX Records. Tune in tonight from ten to midnight for excellent dance club vibes!

This week on Hell or High Water, we'll be having a Cajun conversation. We'll be delving deep into the music of Louisiana as we hear the back and forth between the fiddle and accordion. The fiddle tunes will be focused on the music of Harry Choates, while the accordion tracks will be by accordion playing Iry LeJeune. Tune in at 1pm on Sunday to hear this swampy, call and response.

Tune in to Broken Music at 2pm this Sundayto hear an hour's worth of recordings from the Paris-residing American noise manipulator Small Cruel Party. SCP was the moniker for the Seattle-based composer Key Ransone and over almost 15 years he released a few dozen limited pressing tapes, 7-inches, CDrs and LPs, recordings that featured both his sound manipulations as well as guest efforts from folks like Daniel Menche, Toy Bizarre, Aube and Chop Shop. Although Ransone abandoned the SCP name 12 years ago, his 1993 super-limited edition tape Unroof the House of the Fishes has just been remastered and reissued by Japanese label Harbringer Sound and will be the starting point for our hourlong exploration

Join Sports Rap Sunday night at 9 p.m. for some footbawwwl talk. We'll discuss UNC's game against San Diego State, the problematic hazing allegations following the team and last week's game against Liberty. We'll also talk about the opening weekend of the NFL, with a focus on how the Panthers look. Finally, if we have some time, we'll talk about the FIBA World Cup, team USA's dominant but weird performance so far, and if Spain has a really good shot of beating Team USA out for gold. And if your venerable host gets around to watching some US Open, we might talk about that too!

Join us on Monday at 9 PM for the Outside Track.  This week we will highlight some new heavy rock n roll from PC Worship.  One of those bands the boasts the “avant-“ prefix, PC Worship returns for their first release from Northern Spy with a slightly more conventional loud rock approach.  Discordant rock n roll with mumbling vocals and malaise-inspiring guitar rhythms.  This should absolutely ruin your Monday night in the best way possible.  Enjoy!