wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:51:14 -0400

well well well,
here we are.  another friday.  glad to be here. friday the twelve.  anyway, beginning-of-academic-year things are calming down at WXYC, which means SPECIALTY PROGRAMMING IS HEATING UP.  hell yes.  tune in for some exciting stuff all week on WXYC 89 three:

I’m told Friday nights are all about the parties.  This week on the Inside Track, Friday night at 9 PM, we will be fueling the party with a newly discovered release from Son Palenque entitled “Afro-Colombian Sound Modernizers.”  Made up of musicians from Colombia’s rural coastal regions, Son Palenque is a one of a kind band which fuses ancestral palenquera music of escaped African slave communities with modern dance genres, regional or otherwise.  The results are unmistakably fun, moving and innovative.  Complex rhythms at a quick tempo, vernacular and popular instrumentation, and glorious call and response vocals.  Wow!

This week the New Science Experience is proud to welcome local producer (and WXYC alum) One Duran. He'll be spinning an eclectic variety of house, techno bass and showcasing some tunes by fellow local producers. In addition, his set will feature London-based label Hyperdub in anticipation of their 10th anniversary show at Kings on Sept. 16th. Check it out from ten to midnight tonight - it should be super hot!!

This week on Hell Or High Water, we'll head out of the South up to Newark, NJ to hear the gospel from the Abyssinian Baptist Church Choir. Composed of roughly 120 voices, this choir is a force to be reckoned with. This booming energy will certainly get your Sunday rolling along. Sit back and bask in the power that is the human voice. Tune in Sunday at 1pm.

Hear two new releases this week on Broken Music, Sunday at 2pm. This week you'll hear Fadensonnen's PD5; a new CDR  from New York (and possibly Vermont) based duo that play electric guitar improvisations, and has been compared to Lou Reed and Skullflower and Controlled Bleeding…Weasel Walter might have produced it. Only costs five dollars to buy. http://fadensonnen-music.blogspot.com/search/label/Fadensonnen%20-%20PD5 (SELF-RELEASED; August 2014).  Then you'll hear Mike Weis's Don’t Know, Just Walk, the 2nd solo LP from Chicago-based drummer/percussionist Mike Weis who is most well known for playing in experimental trio Zelionople and the groups Kwaidan (which also features Neil Jendon and André Foisy of Locrian), and Good Stuff House (with Matt Christensen and Scott Tuma from Souled American). Does not sound like Souled American. Two long tracks. (Type Records: June 2014)

This week on Sports Rap, the plan is, barring some technical difficulties, to have a show featuring one-time Sports Rap host Snoop Rion Skyping in from Singapore! We'll talk about why I, your current host, will no longer watch the NFL until Roger Goodell is removed as commissioner and, if that comes to pass, will not watch the Carolina Panthers, my own team, until Greg Hardy is suspended for at least 6 games. We will spend the rest of the time discussing UNC football, including the latest hazing developments, and then talk as much about USA basketball as we can manage in order to avoid a feeling of crushing depression. Tune in Sunday night at 9 pm!

Tune in Monday at 9 PM for the Outside Track featuring one wildly fun and interesting forgotten record from one-off recording artist Owen Maercks.  Back in the 70s, Owen Maercks (now the owner and operator of a Vivarium in Berkeley, CA) recorded a rock album with musical inspiration drawn from his background as an avid record collector.  Bringing together some of the more progressive sounds of the time (Eno, Bowie, burgeoning punk and noise, and the non-stop innovation of jazz/improv), Maercks scratched together a rock n roll album that never made it past the demo phase.  Although no labels would pick it up in the 70s, the folks at Feeding Tube in Western Massachusetts have given this record a proper release.   Tune in for a distinctly DIY sound with screeching saxophones, infectious guitar rhythms, and early punk screamin’ and shoutin’.  Cool record, enjoy.