wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:50:40 -0400

hey everyone,
hope y'all have had a good week.  let's celebrate september's upcoming end and take a look at this week's programming on WXYC.

Join us for the Inside Track, Friday night at 9 PM as we kick off the grooves and beats of the New Science Experience with a new full length from dub techno mastermind Fluxion.  This new release “Broadwalk Tales” goes pretty deep, pulling the production style perfected in King Tubby’s studio in Kingston and fusing it with minimal European techno rhythms. Thankfully, unlike hordes of dub techno produces, Fluxion remembers where his music comes from and most tracks feature Jamaican vocals which hone in perfectly on the tracks’ vibes.  Spacey, psychedelic, dubbed out bassy club tracks for your Friday evening!

On tonight's NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE WXYC's own Dj PizzaHero will be playing a jumbled up mish-mash of all sorts of stuff. Tune in from 10pm - midnight tonight if any of the following words strike your fancy :: Dj assault - VVAQRT - pizza - Ciara - Dj rashad - Arthur Russell

This week on Hell Or High Water, we'll journey up to the upland South and down into the coal mining communities to hear the stories and ballads of these coal miners. Particular focus will be paid to the likes of Hazel Dickins, Nimrod Workman, and Sarah Gunning. These voices of Kentucky and West Virginia will give insight into the complex world that surrounds the coal mining industry. Riddled with sorrow and strife, these tunes are lonesome and haunting. Tune in from 1-2pm on Sunday. PS. For your visual pleasure http://rogermayphotography.com/testify

Tune it at 2pm on Sunday to Broken Music to hear a brand new collection of audio works called Con Brio from the Bologna-based acousmatic composer Francesco Giomi. For the past 25 years Giomi has been an integral part of Bologna's electroacoustic scene, most notably for his work with the revered late composer Luciano Berio and Berio's Tempo Reale ensemble.Con Brio, released by the always stellar Italian avant-garde label Die Schachtel, is a bang-up collection of excerpts from sound installation events for multiple speakers put on by Giomi over the past 20 years.

Listen in to Sports Rap Sunday night at 9 p.m. for this week's edition of What's Wrong With the NFL?!: Bill Simmons getting suspended by his shadowy overlords at ESPN edition! We should (finally) be joined by the inimitable Snoop Rion for an hour of serious kvetching. Also, was the Derek Jeter farewell totally out of proportion with his skills as a player? Has LeBron secretly added discovering a time machine to the list of things that make him a sports god? Tune in!

Let’s see how weird Germans can get this Monday night at 9 PM with the Outside Track.  This week, we are featuring the new release from German kraut-psych-freak folk collective Datashock.  Pulling seemingly zero influence from their landscape, this new release “Keine Oase in Sicht” (No Oasis in Sight) is a sometimes funky, often droney and always spacey collection of deeply psychedelic sonic explorations.  This is probably the closest approximation we have today to the famous kraut-collectives of the late 60s and early 70s in Germany.  It’s a massive release, but we will play what we can!  Enjoy.