unclug - Re: [unclug] Xgl

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Brian Pike <bapike AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Xgl
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:49:32 -0400 (EDT)

It does seem strange that the page specifically mentions the Nvidia drivers, but I think they really mean, "Install proprietary graphics drivers if necessary." Many of the open-source drivers for recent video cards can't do OpenGL in hardware (because the companies won't release the specs, so people can't write drivers...), and will do any OpenGL in software. This means that Xgl, which (AFAIK) tries to perform X requests using OpenGL, will be as slow as normal X, if not slower, unless your video card is doing OpenGL in hardware.

This page:
http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl
lists Xgl as working with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 SE (and probably similar cards), provided that you install the proprietary drivers from ATI. According to wikipedia, ATI's name for these drivers is "fglrx". I'd bet that any hardware supported by that driver would work with Xgl.

Regarding trying to get this to work under VMware, I don't think it'll work well because OpenGL will not be accelerated in the guest operating system where you want to run Xgl (as I said before, it may run, but it will be slow). VMware probably doesn't give access to raw hardware resources, including the video card. That's why the graphics card on SuSE running under VMware appears to be "VMWare INC VMWARE0405"; VMWare is emulating a video card, trapping messages to the video card, and translating and sending them to the host operating system. I suppose, in theory, VMWare could make their video driver appear to support accelerated OpenGL, passing what data it gets to the host operating system.... but they apparently haven't implemented this yet. According to:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling.html
the only way you can get (experimental) accelerated 3d is if the application is using Direct3D in, of course, a Windows guest operating system, with the host operating system being either Windows or Linux with accelerated 3D support.

-Brian