unclug - Re: [unclug] Anyone got an OpenAFS client running under kernel 2.6.x?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Faheem Mitha <faheem AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Anyone got an OpenAFS client running under kernel 2.6.x?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:43:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Andrew Perrin wrote:

Thanks - I hadn't realized that. I was able to use the experimental version and set it up fine. HOWEVER, there's a bug in the version packaged there that is really fatal: under certain conditions the client simply silently "swallows" a file when there's a write error. That led to several files coming up zero size -- and therefore to data loss. I consider that a Bad Thing in a filesystem!

Interesting. If you can reproduce this, it should be worth reporting, possibly upstream. It sounds like AFS on 2.6 is not yet ready for general use.

Thanks for the info.

Faheem.