unclug - Re: [unclug] Anyone got an OpenAFS client running under kernel 2.6.x?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Faheem Mitha <faheem AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Anyone got an OpenAFS client running under kernel 2.6.x?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:32:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Andrew Perrin wrote:

I'd like to upgrade to kernel 2.6 but what's holding me back is a
functional AFS client, which is an absolute necessity for me. Has anyone
managed to get OpenAFS running under 2.6.x?

Hi Andrew,

It seems you are unaware that the (development) version of openafs in Debian experimental supports 2.6. Having said that, my tests of this last year suggested that the support is too unreliable to be useful. I actually had openafs installed on a few UNC machines with 2.6. After reports of problems, I was forced to switch back to 2.4. Note that when I installed it, the module compiled fine against 2.6 and the client worked with no problems. However, problems came up later.

This was last year. It may be more stable now. If you have better luck with it, let me know.

Faheem.