typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] (no subject)

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Lydia Beilby" <dancethedada AT hotmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:11:00 +0000

F.A.O Andy Comer! I tried to email you, but the address kept bouncing..sorry this won't be of too much interest to anyone else. Lydia

Dear Andy,
Thanks for getting in touch.To tell you a bit more about what I'm doing, I am dissecting what I consider the key elements of 'punk'- aesthetics/ lyrics/ sound/ attitude and philosophy and viewing them through a prism of gender. My project has shaped itself into a kind of 'doccumentary' annotated with my own thoughts and interpretations! I have interviewed some female members of the 70's movement, (not nearly as many as I wanted though- they are proving elusive in scotland!) and these accounts I am using to try and assemble some idea of what the Punk identity could mean for women. Clearly, as I'm doing it on such a small scale, I won't suggest my findings are representative of the population at large and so I suppose my project is more like a narrative about how punk worked for some women. Aside from this I'm looking at sex and sexuality (as something both acted out and interpreted by others), comparing it to the Hippy counterculture (to really tease out how it was different to other y. cultures) and looking at prominent figures. Specifically Patti Smith, Nico, Siouxie Sioux and Debbie Harry (I'm sort of unsure about Debbie, but lots of my interviewees said they found her inspirational so I will use her), I will also make mention of other fem fronted bands- raincoats, au pairs, essential logic, slits etc.
Just wiritng this has alerted me to how much there is to cover!
I googled your article, but there was no response. Is it available anywhere? any chance you could send it to me?
best wishes, Lydia

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here. http://messenger.msn.co.uk