sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems [am I really on the list?]

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems [am I really on the list?]
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:18:47 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Hi again!

Somehow I didn't get Seth's response... I just saw it in the archives after I
indeed got the reply from Jeremy (spotting traces of the missing post in
there). Strange.

Of course I want to keep the duscussion going, so:

@Jeremy:

Yes, I didn't expect scribe to put the new grimoire first, but I have to
admit that I didn't even try to study the man page. I wanted the system up
quickly and just went on when I thought I got the point from the program's
help. Putting it the new grimoire first even may make sense, though my
handling poses a different view:

I see that package X is in extra grimoire Y. I want X. I scribe add Y. I pick X out of Y
and put it in my first-postion personal grimoire "zauberbuch". Then X is found by
cast before any other version of it occuring in stable & co. I don't want this to
happen for _all_ packages in Y automatically.
On the other hand one may wonder why installation of grimoire Y doesn't have
any effect and still the versions abailable in stable are picked (if there
are). One may want to have the new grimoire in front. Both points are
sensible. I settled for the first, conservative, practice; dunno if I am
representative for the majority of potential newbie SM users.

You can use the tool `scribbler` for this.

e.g.
# scribe add test
# scribbler xorg test local
# scribe rem test

Would add xorg from the test grimoire to your local grimoire (and
create a local grimoire for you if you don't already have one) and
then remove test.

You can also do:

# scribe add test
# scribe swap test stable

To add test and then make stable listed before test, thus getting
stable packages for most packages and still able to use packages that
exist in test but not stable. This is not guaranteed to be safe. :)

Maybe one should just let scribe give out a message stating that grimoire Y
has been but in front? Or handle it like init scripts with a
separate enabling step additional to install? At least a more verbose scribe possibly
could print out the modified grimoire list after and add. Problem is that I won't
stumble over that again; A modified scribe had to be tested by another
"virgin" user for its intuitivity.

Running `scribe index` or `gaze grimoires` will give you a listing of
what grimoires you have installed and the order in which they are
searched.

On GUIlib: Can I expect that this will be fixed soon?

Tonight at the latest, sooner if someone beats me too it. :)
<snip>

- -sandalle

- --