sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] problems reinstalling

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Pierre Abbat <phma AT phma.hn.org>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] problems reinstalling
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:30:49 -0400

Eric Sandall wrote:
Why/how are neither of them working?

I tried smgl stable, but got random crashes and kernel panics. I tried newgen 20050719 and found that loading ACPI modules prevented these random crashes. However, I ran into a grub bug trying to install grub to the MBR.

Yes, I did have trouble the first time I installed Source Mage on this laptop.

With Debian, it segfaulted while loading the basesystem. It also claimed that /boot was "very strange" and it couldn't resize it (which I didn't want it to). I finally told it to reformat it.

All you need to do is tell GRUB where the SMGL kernel and root
partitions are and it'll boot into it. Same with Debian.

I don't understand GRUB. Up till the crash, I was using lilo.

phma