sm-users - [SM-Users] problems reinstalling

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Pierre Abbat <phma AT phma.hn.org>
  • To: SM Users <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] problems reinstalling
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:26:45 -0400

I had a hard drive crash on a laptop which has been running Source Mage for a few years. I did have trouble initially getting it to run stably, but I don't remember how I did it. It may have been the ACPI or the AGPGART. The processor is an Athlon. I tried booting with acpi=off, but it still acted weird. It gets random kernel panics and programs that fail to write files. The laptop has a tendency to overheat, so I made it throttle the CPU depending on the temperature, reducing the speed by 1/16 for every kelvin above 60°C. But when I boot the CD with ACPI on, I can't find the temperature or the CPU throttle. I've tried both the stable CD and the 2005-07-19 test version. Is there a boot parameter I should try?

phma