sm-users - [SM-Users] Questions about Sourcemage.

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Chuck Hall" <chall AT bcrl.stcloudstate.edu>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Questions about Sourcemage.
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:39:41 -0600 (CST)

Greetings,

Having lurked in the shadows, I have come forwrd to ask a few questions.

1. I have seen indications that someone is doing some work on getting
Sourcemage to work on sparc systems. Since I have a number of said
systems here I can offer to make them avaliable for testing the spells or
general porting issues. I would be happy to try and help out in getting
Sourcemage to work on these systems, just let me know.

2. A number of spells seem to require Java, yet there is no package that
provides the Java requirement. The last time I cast kaffe it did not
provied the Java requirement, dispite it being a Jave VM. Is there
another spell floating out there in the stable branch (or devel) that
fullfills this requirement?

3. From everything that I have read it seems that the only way to install
Sourcemage is via a Cd-Rom. Are there plans to add other forms of
install/recovery? I ask because I for one would like to install across
a network or to have a seperate partition on the HD so I can crash the
main system yet still have a quick way to recover (the cd-rom is not quick
when its x2 speed).

4. I have also heard about a system called "prometheus", it is supposed to
test the spells by casting them a multiple of times. Do you need a extra
(a few) machines to help in this?

4a. What are the system requirements for running the prometheus system?
I'm looking for HD space, RAM needed, and min. ideal proccessor speed.

4b. I have a machine here that has 4 proccessors running Sourcemage, would
it help to test the spells and identify which ones can be saftly cast with
a SMP machine? I have noticed that there is a warning about it in
sorcery, it might be useful to have the spell have a tag that allows it to
be cast
with a SMP machine.

Probley should have split this into multiple e-mails but its here now.

Have Fun!
Chuck Hall