sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] no virtual console with kernel 2.6.1

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-users <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] no virtual console with kernel 2.6.1
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:09:51 -0800

> For the second, I had to create a BUILD script where I call "make" and
> then copy some files at hand.
> Is copying should go to a POST_INSTALL script?
If the files should be tracked (probably) do it in BUILD after you run
prepare_install. POST_INSTALL (i think) is for other administrative stuff
that isn't part of the building/installing process, such are reloading
process or i dont know what.

> But I have a problem. The program needs access to /dev/parport0.
> Even after loading parport and parport_pc and creating the parport0 file
> (with mknod /dev/parport0 c 99 0), the program complain about the file
> not existing.
you shouldn't assume that parport_pc and parport are going to be modules,
the user may have them compiled into the kernel, or not at all.
Im currently unaware of any mechanism to determine if the user has
support for something compiled into the kernel or not...

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |