sm-spell-submit - Re: [SM-Spell-Submit] Mail List or Bug Report? . . .

sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Submit list for new spells

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Spell-Submit] Mail List or Bug Report? . . .
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:12:58 -0700

On Sunday 18 April 2004 12:48 pm, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> I believe that if we somehow put the listing of spells
> (http://codex.sourcemage.org/listing.html) on a wiki page, this page
> would be the best place to have a warning that new versions are
> available. Having this in Bugzilla will simply pollute the database,
> because most of it would become version updates.

I don't think that would be moving us into the position of a better
maintained
distribution. First, moving the listing.html to a Wiki page does not improve
the situation. There is still a static list, except that it now has to be
checked /and/ updated manually. Might as well just use listing.html (which
is at least generated automatically whenever the grimoire tar files are
updated) and save the extra effort.

Second, with a flat file like the Wiki page, there is no indication what is
being done, or that anything is being done. I realized that with the mail
list subscriptions. When a new announcement comes in, no one has any idea
that anything is being done with it. Unless we adopt a policy where anyone
choosing to update a spell then needs to send an e-mail to the list informing
everyone of that fact, and then send another letting everyone know that it
was done. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why we use Bugzilla? The
main problem I see with using Bugzilla instead of the mail list is that if
the e-mail is going to an unmaintained section, no one will see the
announcement.

I'm not even sure we can convert a FreshMeat or SourceForge announcement into
a Bugzilla bug. Maybe we just need to adopt and establish some guide lines
for doing updates through the mail list?

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)