sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updates on beta web site

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updates on beta web site
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:28:16 +0300

The final changes are the following:

- reference for all Sorcery commands is complete[0]

- more URLs unification[1]

- authors URLs are now defined as standard personal pages, i.e.
"/~$username" -- it's defined by the site engine. So we can use them
later as personal pages we used before with user information and
questions like "GNOME or KDE?", etc. $username == a user in HTTP auth.
News pages contain authors as links to these personal pages -- both in
a pagination layout[2] and news pages themselves[3]. They will be
filled later on for/by those who wish so.

- I converted all grimoire release pages (0.6-0.15) [4],[5] we had on an
old version of the website according to our new template[6]. News pages
were updated respectively[7],[8] to contain proper links to these
release pages. They are full of a very important information on the
process we had, including good QA, etc. -- this is what we should
definetely resurrect and continue doing when producing new releases.
Those are awesome examples of a good job.

- Installation guide from yet another source[9] (so now we have 3 of
them!)[10] was transferred from the old places including remarks from
me and Pol (thanks!)

- A great improvement was the Intro[11] page. It was extended *a lot*
with those information snips we have in the Tome repository (last
touched 7 years ago). It reveals our true aims and philosophical views
on a system that should be presented by the distro we're working on.
Pretty inspiring, heh.

- Another *important* new page is a huge article about comparing us with
Gentoo[12]. This one was moved almost as-is with a couple of changes
including proper links and references to the current status of Sorcery.
It contains some version of the Linux distro timeline[13], along with a
reference to the site containing the most recent one.

- there were several fixes to layout on different screens, including
dynamic width/height with CSS3, etc. Thanks to Pol for that.

- several cosmetic fixes were made as well -- you will not notice
them probably :-)

[0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Sorcery/Commands
[1] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/+index
[2] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/News/2/