sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:33:14 +0900

David Kowis (dkowis AT shlrm.org) wrote [12.08.22 02:26]:
> So this discussion as it currently stands, is that we don't want to
> change anything about the way we ship SMGL, or migrate away away from
> simpleinit-msb, to a different default.
>
> And that we should support all init systems.
>
> I don't really see us changing anything from what we're doing right now.
> Am I correct in reading this discussion that way?

I don't recall anyone discussing anything about changing the default
init system, either for or against. Changing a default implies that we
support multiple init systems first.

From what I saw of the actual discussion, it was about whether we only
switch from simpleinit to systemd (supporting only systemd), or add
support for multiple init systems and let the user choose. My own vote
goes towards adding additional support, rather than dropping one init in
favor of another.

Once we have support for multiple inits in place (in stable), then we
can discuss which init should be the default one shipped with the
distro, if any. I say "if any" because we don't have a default mailer,
default editor (though we kind of do with nano, but more as a fallback),
or even a default pager. Since all of it is chosen at install time from
a list of potentials (via provides), do we even need to name any
particular init as a default?

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage