sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:05:21 +0200

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:44:05 -0400
Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:

> So what I gather from this discussion is that the main questions are:
> Do we support systemd? If yes, do we use IMP?
> Do we *eventually* force migration to it or do we allow it as an option?

We don't need to hack systemd support into sorcery, imp can handle those
files.
I just need some more time to test imp and make sure it handles systemd files.
Once that's done it should be ready for daily use.

As added bonus it would mean that anyone *not* using systemd will not have to
download files for it on every grimoire update.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not some small app we're talking
about, it's init. Screwing up there is kind of bad.

I don't get why it's even mentioned that we should *force* people to migrate
systemd + udev.

AFAIK one can still use static dev, mdev from busybox or whatever other way
to handle /dev one prefers.

> With an increasing reliance on systemd in the GNU/Linux userland and
> by popular distros, I don't think we can avoid it. Especially if GNOME
> depends on it (
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html
> ).

gnome needs pulseaudio as well, do we force that on everybody? if we don't
force an audio system on anyone, why force init?

> I'm sure that time will force us in one direction for the latter
> question, so I think that can be safely ignored for now. I don't think
> we can even think about that question until we have a fully-functional
> systemd spell anyway,
>
> David stated that getting systemd to work with IMP is a lot of work,
> but http://www.sourcemage.org/projects/imp/wiki suggests that a lot of
> the work is already done. I have no idea what state IMP is currently
> in however.
> What advantages does using IMP bring? Is it just an easier way to
> manage multiple init systems?
>

> Personally, I do not like systemd, but I do think it is the right way
> to go and is something the Linux userland needs.

Neither do I, I don't trust it. That's why I started tinkering on imp in the
first place.

Regards,
Arjan

Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,