sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev & systemd
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:44:05 -0400

So what I gather from this discussion is that the main questions are:
Do we support systemd? If yes, do we use IMP?
Do we *eventually* force migration to it or do we allow it as an option?

With an increasing reliance on systemd in the GNU/Linux userland and
by popular distros, I don't think we can avoid it. Especially if GNOME
depends on it (
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html
).
I'm sure that time will force us in one direction for the latter
question, so I think that can be safely ignored for now. I don't think
we can even think about that question until we have a fully-functional
systemd spell anyway,

David stated that getting systemd to work with IMP is a lot of work,
but http://www.sourcemage.org/projects/imp/wiki suggests that a lot of
the work is already done. I have no idea what state IMP is currently
in however.
What advantages does using IMP bring? Is it just an easier way to
manage multiple init systems?

Personally, I do not like systemd, but I do think it is the right way
to go and is something the Linux userland needs.