sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde3 removal from grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde3 removal from grimoire
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 15:35:04 -0500

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:22:01 +0900
flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> Warning: this post will likely not be pleasant. If it comes off as a
> flame, I apologize. I truly do not intend for this to be a flame. I'm
> just trying to be honest about what I believe the problem is and where
> it comes from.

Of course it comes off as a flame and that seems to be most of the
constructive input that happens around here. Plenty of talking and
critisizing and very little work. Sorry if this comes off a flame, but
I am tired of all the general grousing against those that are actually
still working on this distro why most that do the grousing have given
up for various reasons.

> Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [11.10.13 09:53]:
> > > I plan to pull the branch into test in next few days.
> >

> > We discussed on irc, just mention also here.
> > In this sentence the "next few days" meant almost immediately.
> > It isn't a problem. Problem is that nobody really care, nobody
> > discuss, nobody review commits. This thread was discussed only by
> > Bor alone.
> >
> > Of course we have no time. Source Mage isn't our full time job. But
> > we have to discuss. If mailing lists don't work we need regular irc
> > meetings with logs on our web site, we need some regular voting with
> > just +1 or -1. Some of our irc channel should be published so all
> > can see the reasons of some activity.
> >
> > BTW, the subject of this thread is "kde3 removal from grimoire".
> > But not only kde3 spells have been removed. The spell qt-x11 was
> > also removed together with all spells depended on qt-x11. How many
> > developers have agreed with this?
>
> IMHO, the real problem here is not how busy anyone is (which of course
> we all are), or that "nobody" cares/discusses (which is true of
> everyone, including those who participated in this thread, of other
> issues, as basically everyone only participates about things they
> personally care about). I believe the real problem is the absolute
> lack of structure of the grimoire team. Where was the grimoire lead
> on this? Did any of the grimoire devs try to get the lead's comment
> on this change before pushing it out? Did any grimoire devs think to
> wait to get the lead's OK on this?

This KDE path forward was commented on by myself back in August when
it was first proposed with Bor. Since he is pretty much
the only one working on anything to do with KDE or QT, I concurred with
his approach and at that time made it clear it was his to do with as he
felt worked best.

Just as I have told Ladislav to proceed with the update of Gnome 3.
When he begins this update I certainly don't feel the need to reiterate
what I have said before.

I believe the grimoire team is the only team that has any structure
left to it. The Cauldron team for all practical purposes has ceased
to exist. We haven't had a ISO release in over 18 months.

Sorcery was all but dead, we have recently had an update, but this
is really a one man team.

The only reason this distro hasn't ceased to exist is because of the
work of a few dedicated developers on the Grimoire team. But honestly
if we think about it, this distro has already ceased to exist as a
growing and developing distro. It is just cruising along and most seem
okay with that.

George Sherwood