sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:01:41 +0200

On Monday 29 August 2011 19:24:53 Bor Kraljič wrote:

> > > Well. I can use grep to get the list of spells:
> > > $ git grep -E "^depends.*(kdelibs|kdebase)[^4]" -- *DEPENDS |cut
> > > -d"/"
> > > -f2 This command gives me more or less all the spell that depend on
> > > kdelibs3. Except for those that use KDE_DEPENDS in their DEPENDS
> > > file.
> > > Thus with combination with this command:
> > > $ git grep "KDE_DEPENDS" -- kde[^4]*DEPENDS | cut -d/ -f2
> > > Should get all the spells that non-optionally depend on kdelibs3.
> > > Would
> > > that be enough ?
> > >
> > > However there are spells that depend on it optionally. Those we
> > > don't
> > > really need to conflict... User only needs "cleanse --prune" and
> > > disables it.
> >
> > I came up with this small script, to be run as UP_TRIGGERS in
> > kdelibs4,after renaming it to kdelibs, and assuming that all kde4
> > spells have the 4 removed from their names, where applicable.
> >

> > # handle renaming of kde4 spells
> > echo on_pre_cast $SPELL dispel ${SPELL//4}
> > LL=`grep :kde.*4.*: /var/state/sorcery/depends|cut -d: -f1|sort|uniq`
> > for S4 in $LL;do
> >
> > SS=${S4//4}
> > if [ $S4 != $SS ];then
> >
> > echo on_cast $SPELL dispel $S4
> >
> > fi
> > echo on_cast $SPELL cast -c $SS
> >
> > done

A slightly modified version

LL=`grep :kde.*4.*:on: /var/state/sorcery/depends|cut -d: -f1|sort|uniq`
for S4 in $LL;do
SS=${S4//4}
if [ $S4 != $SS ];then
up_trigger $S4 dispel_self
fi
up_trigger $SS cast_self
done

I used this to rebuild a lot of stuff on my system. The main problem was
ensuring that all references to the old spell names were changed.

> That will come in handy when we will rename all those spells. However we
> still need protect kde3 users that don't want to upgrade to kde4. Some
> check if first number of installed version is 3 the cast should bailed
> out.
>
> And we also need to what are we going to do with kde3. I am leaning towards
> removing all the spells from grimoire. But that is quite a lot of spells to
> remove. Just removing all the spells and those which have mandatory
> dependency on kdelibs3 and removing optional from other spells. Come to
> think of it... Is there another way of removing such large number of spells
> from grimoire ?

I would be in favour of removing all the kde3 stuff completely. Give a prompt
for the first update, so that the user can refuse the updates in order to
keep
kde3. Likewise for qt4/3.