sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Non-profit org or not

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Non-profit org or not
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:33:39 -0500

On Mar 13, Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik [ruskie AT codemages.net] wrote:
> So it has come up in sourcemage-admin and SM-admin as well[0] that we
> are going to be becoming a non-profit 501c3 eventually.
> Now the question is...
>
> Do we go through all the machinations ourselves(adding overhead to the
> PL and so on) or do we use the resources of the Software Freedom
> Conservancy[1] project.
>
> My own opinion is that we should go with the conservancy. They have a
> list of member projects among them: Samba, Wine, Boost to name a few.

For my part I have no real interest in outsourcing this. It's too
important and if we get screwed at some point, we likely find we don't own
anything about ourselves.

There's not much overhead in doing it ourselves to be saved, and even if
they're all angels they're going to create overhead for us that's likely to
be at least equal to whatever is saved.