sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Non-profit org or not

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Non-profit org or not
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 06:05:27 -0400

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik (ruskie AT codemages.net) wrote [09.03.13 03:14]:
> So it has come up in sourcemage-admin and SM-admin as well[0] that we
> are going to be becoming a non-profit 501c3 eventually.
> Now the question is...
>
> Do we go through all the machinations ourselves(adding overhead to the
> PL and so on) or do we use the resources of the Software Freedom
> Conservancy[1] project.
>
> My own opinion is that we should go with the conservancy. They have a
> list of member projects among them: Samba, Wine, Boost to name a few.
>

> Thoughts, opinions, flames and so on.
>
> [0] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-admin/2009-February/000420.html
> [1] http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

There is one thing that makes me suspicious:

"The Conservancy does not currently charge its member projects any
fees."

It sounds like they are reserving the right to charge fees later, once
they get enough member projects that they aren't worried about
disappearing, for "administrative costs" (non-profit, but profit, if you
follow :-P). Sure I'm probably being paranoid and conspiracy theorist,
but if they didn't want to keep that as an option why mention
"currently"?

Otherwise it sounds like a really good deal (which is also feeding my
paranoia - too good to be true?). The fact that some notable projects
are under their wing does ease my mind a bit (especially
BusyBox/uCLibc).

However, one thing that makes doing it ourselves is that it's more in
line with the Source Mage way. Sure it's more painful, but we would have
complete control, and it would be _ours_. ;-)

Basically, I'm on the fence regarding the Conservancy, but I'm leaning a
bit more towards doing it ourselves (if it's not too much burden on the
PL and co. of course). I'm definitely for going 501c3 though so that, if
nothing else, the generous people who donate every year for our server
costs can start getting tax breaks for it.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage