sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Dear fellow mages I'm bailing out.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ivan Lezhnjov Jr." <ivan.lezhnjov.jr AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Dear fellow mages I'm bailing out.
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:34:16 +0200

You all have most likely noticed that I stopped responding to your Bugzilla
replies and do not update the spells I have to anymore.

Unfortunately at the present time being I can't just do that.

I have a few reasons and one of them is I have almost no spare time to do
what
must be done. Also, I haven't got Source Mage installed on any of the
machines I have at my place.

As for spare time I'm currently working like a dog for man from 9AM to 6PM.
All I've got for a private life is a couple of hours in between and that's
it. At this point I have definitely got a bunch of more important things to
deal with in my life than Source Mage no matter how harsh this may sound to
frantic project lovers :)

Speaking of this issue I've gradually come to a point where I'd love to ask
all of you active developers the following question. How much time do you
spend working on the project a week? If you work somewhere else (for yourself
or someone else) and take active part in development of this distro how do
you manage to find time to do what you do?

Your replies and insights are most welcome.

About "I haven't got Source Mage installed on any of the machines I have at
my
place" bit... This issue, and consequently a result, is interconnected with
the previous issue of not having enough time to even deal with emerging
issues after performing sorcery system-update. You read that right. I've come
to a point where I was spending a couple of weeks trying to make spells build
that were broken, wouldn't build and sometimes affect system usability to a
point that was not acceptable.

I'm fascinated by sorcery and I'm amazed at a tight but very friendly,
geekish
(in a good sense) and knowledgeable community. Nonetheless, I had to stand
back and reconsider the benefits and limitations of using Source Mage as my
main OS.

Now let me get this straight. I'm not abandoning Source Mage altogether and
it's not like I'm saying I'm not coming back ever. I still think Source Mage
is one of the greatest linux distributions ever and I'd love to see it
getting more and more stable and popular among many users.

I decided to stick with Debian for a while. I never used it before. I heard
people saying it's great and all that jazz so I decided to try it out for a
while and see how good and bad this distro is for myself. For now I run
Debian.

I tried to set up Source Mage several times on different machines (my
personal
workstation at our office and an FTP server I run). God be my witness I
honestly wanted to stick with Source Mage but I failed to. Each time I
performed sorcery rebuild after fresh install it failed which was pretty
frustrating. Again, I didn't have enough spare time to tackle the issues so I
had to find some other distro.

Long story short it was good and nice to meet you all and make a tiny
contribution to this great project.

I'm going to keep my eye on the further development of Source Mage and I sure
like hell am going to give it a try again some time later.

Sincerely yours,
bailing out apprentice.

--

Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.

Europe, Ukraine, Simferopol

Running
Debian GNU/Linux, kernel version 2.6.26-1-686 build #1

Key ID 0x5811D90C
Key Fingerprint 2A52 5C8C 38BE C04F D8DE A169 19E2 E49A 5811 D90C
Use GPG Exercise Your Right To Privacy