sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of xorg-server in test grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of xorg-server in test grimoire
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:09:42 +0100

Am Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:12:23 +0100 (CET)
schrieb Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>:

> Do you have xorg-server built with HAL? How about xf86-input-evdev?

Part of the problem is that Xorg tries to use evdev by default driver
even if it is not installed.
And then, you have to make sure that hal/dbus is running. There's too
much broken when you don't get several things right.
An the breakage is rather major. But well, we do have a wiki page on
that issue and it is known how to get things right, but it's sad
nevertheless.

In that light it's only a sidenode that Xorg ignores keyboard
configuration (keymaps etc.) in xorg.conf since some time.
At least for me... I resorted to running setxkbmap in my .xinitrc,
didn't want to bother with XML hacking for hal.
For my dad's PC we have a nice effect of the keyboard layout being
horribly messed up when we try to configure the layout using the KDE
control center (which _does_ use setxkbmap, but perhaps the keyboard
model selection borks up). That features the Arrow keys being mappend
to Super_L or Print, or at some time in between we had around 130
instances of ksnapshot (screenshots) started by one press of the Print
key (instead of one).

Stuff seems to work with not touching the KDE settings and rather
putting a "setxkbmap de" in the Autostart... but the next time my dad
forgets about me telling "don't touch that configuration dialog in the
control center" I'll have funny phone calls...

So, I'm all for official Xorg updates in a 6-month cycle. So at least
one has only to take care of breakage two times a year... and possibly
all those who checked out the latest stuff of the parts have
discovered/fixed some bugs in that time.

Oh, and for synaptics driver... that's a reason to keep xorg.conf on my
laptop: I figured that the alternative for HAL automagic is just the
evdev mouse driver...? I configured synaptics in the config file to
have the necesary features, helping a bit to lessen the pain of not
having a TrackPoint anymore (just a bit *snif*).

Thomas,

who is still undecided if he wants to upgrade from xorg-server 1.4, for
he fears the random input event freeze he had with 1.5 ...