sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Why cmake?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ivan Lezhnjov Jr." <ivan.lezhnjov.jr AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Why cmake?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:57:00 +0200

Friday 19 December 2008, David Kowis wrote:
> Vlad Glagolev wrote:
> > Another question disturbin me: why do you force devel/rc/testing versions
> > of the spells as they are stable? That's not good, and that's not GNOME
> > (Robin already argued about it).
> >
> > Neither me nor (i hope) the others wanna see their box like 00b00nt00 or
> > something else with a ton of useless binaries/libraries. Nowadays, Source
> > Mage is the only distro where I can keep my system as compact as possible
> > and pretty stable. So don't break my dream. Imho, we should keep it as
> > minimalistic as possible. That's why we use this system.
>
> Actually, our stated goal is to maintain as close to upstream as
> possible, not as minimal as possible. Usually, the two coincide, but not
> always.

Right. I personally don't think SMGL should be a minimalistic distro (well,
it
really depends on what you mean here by minimalistic!). The beauty of SMGL in
my eyes is that you can make it both a minimalistic and bloated box whenever
you want quite easily. I have almost 900 spells. No, I don't have all of the
DEs and window managers installed. Just KDE 3.x and lots of various software.
My interests are diverse and I always end up with lots of things in my life.

I guess you should really clarify what you meant to say for this discussion
have any sensible progress.

--

Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.

Europe, Ukraine, Simferopol

Running
Source Mage GNU/Linux, kernel version 2.6.24 build #5

Key ID 0x5811D90C
Key Fingerprint 2A52 5C8C 38BE C04F D8DE A169 19E2 E49A 5811 D90C
Use GPG Exercise Your Right To Privacy