sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO again (was: dw)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO again (was: dw)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:50:33 +0200

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:46:44 -0500
Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:

<snip>
.

> Many of us have been asking for an ISO that does only this for years now
> because it's so trivial to keep current and for the majority of our
> existing users it's all they need to build new systems and get them going.
> I understand completely wanting the ISO itself to be current versions and
> having some guided stuff for new users but the fact is that those things
> have been delaying automatable ISO updates for years now. We've been
> through at least 4 Cauldron leads in that time and each of them starts with
> the same goals and the same issues in front of them, making a lot of this
> conversation feel like deja vu all over again. Each one makes major
> progress toward the "big idea" of an ISO, but doesn't get all the way
> there, and the next tends to start over. And we still don't have the very
> basic thing described above.

I was amongst the "Many of us" on this one. But honestly I'm on flux' side
here.
I did test the iso and, if you disregard a couple of cosmetic flaws, it was
usable for installing a box.

It has been a while ago since the last iso release and cauldron is working
hard
on a stable process where we can have a new iso whenever we want to.

Why should we at this point put pressure on them to release something
completely different? Keep in mind that cauldron hasn't got the manpower to
work on different projects.

To be fair, the same kind of pressure was applied to previous cauldron members
and might just have been the reason they stopped working on it after a while.

I'd rather wait a little longer this time for team to complete what they're
doing now and get it over with once and for all. So they can focus on
streamlining and polishing the process.

Like you, most of us are capable of installing a box in an
alternative/creative
way while there isn't a stable iso release. Most are also quite capable
to guide a new user through the process.

Just my thought on the matter.

Arjan Bouter

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org
Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===