sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO again (was: dw)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO again (was: dw)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:09:49 -0400

Jeremy Blosser (jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org) wrote [08.09.19 01:09]:
> I haven't yet, but doing those things isn't the whole point; it has to do
> them simply enough that updating the ISO on a grimore release just means
> changing the tarball and reburning so we can do a new release every time
> stable updates.

Actually, it doesn't. You can't just change a tarball to update the ISO.
There has to be updates both to the ISO filesystem (which is not a
tarball) as well as to the tarball that is used to install onto the new
system (all the stuff that gets copied over).

However, once the process is actually stable, then it's possible to just
do sorcery system-update inside the ISO build directory and then test to
make sure it works. The problem right now is that we don't have a known
good kernel config for fitting both older hardware (IDE) and modern
hardware (SATA/PATA) due to the buggy implementation in the kernel. Once
I get that taken care of, I'll be doing the system-update to the current
stable grimoire, and adjusting the kernel config as necessary for the
newer kernel version.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage