sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] dw

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] dw
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:18:05 -0400

seth AT swoolley.homeip.net (seth AT swoolley.homeip.net) wrote [08.09.18 14:19]:
> I don't believe the one year to get basic automation working.
>
> Seriously.
>
> It's a few commands, and maybe an if statement for platform.
>
> Can you elaborate in some detail? Come November, I can help if the
> automation is really not possible in your mind in a year. I had
> automation going for x86_64 ISO generation at one point, so I know it's
> possible and really not that difficult.
>
> Seth

I guess it depends on the definition of "automation", and you and I may
have different definitions for this. Also, there's the difference of how
the ISO is built/what's on it as well, as the older ISOs were very
different from what we have now. That means that the automations that
may have applied in the past don't necessarily apply now. Part of the
issue before was that a lot of things were just hacked together, so
things were difficult to change. I'm trying to make sure that's avoided,
so that any of the ISOs can be built automatically from the same
process, and make sure that the process itself is easy to modify and
update. The ISO generation process for all of the ISOs I've built so far
is almost completely manual. Each step has to be done separately,
because there are a lot of bugs that can be introduced at each step, and
various things to check for. As we tighten things down on where the bugs
come in from, it will be easier to automate anyway, so that will help
speed things up. Right now, with so few of us, our time is split between
doing ISO releases the manual way (so we actually have releases) and
working on the automation process (so we don't have to do everything
manually). I haven't been around as a dev for as long as you or some
others, so I can't make a lot of direct comparisons to the differences
in the process, but from what I do know and have heard of the process
now is very different.

Karsten is currently busy with school as far as I know (I sent him an
email but haven't heard back from him yet). Andrew Stitt (afrayedknot)
will be joining very soon to help work on the automation, but otherwise
that only leaves me right now (until Karsten gets some more free time).
Hence, work is proceeding slowly :(. Any help pimping cauldron out to
more devs would be highly appreciated :-D. I've been trying to get more
involvement, and there are some I've talked to who are interested
(mostly those who aren't SMGL devs at all right now), but they haven't
actually gotten into anything yet. Seems like almost everyone who is
interested doesn't have time, and those with time aren't interested
except for the very scant few. I feel bad for Jaka though, since AFAIK
he's all by his lonesome on sorcery.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage