sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:34:40 +0000

Eric Sandall wrote:
On Tuesday 15 April 2008 01:38:35 Karsten Behrmann wrote:
<snip>
Hmm, point.
Maybe an /etc/examples/ or /usr/share/doc/examples/ (bleh) populated
by us?
The reason I don't like crunching all the examples into one file is
that it's a long read.

It doesn't matter as much with files like fstab, in which order is pretty
much irrelevant and you can just go
# ===== examples below this line, skip on first read =====

On the other hand, when you're a new user editing his lilo.conf, I'd
certainly not want to have to delete a bunch of lines to get it to work
(neccessary with the current lilo.conf.example), and I'd rather not have
to read through hundreds of lines documenting obscure features until I
find the line where I put that "append=noapic" that makes my box boot.

So in summary, I think we serve new (or hasty) users better if our default
files are a small and essential, and all the "reference" stuff is put
somewhere where you don't need to scroll through just to get your system
set up.

Just My Humble Opinion, of course.

So Far,
Karsten

To me, it's the other way. As a new user (to an OS or to a specific application) I prefer well-documented configuration files. I can always remove the comments later.

I'm of the same preference. I don't want to have to switch between VCs when I can just type what I see a bit further down, or use VI's copy paste ability ;)

For the specific lilo.conf example, just have all the examples commented out by default. ;)
Yep

Either way, as long as all of the examples are available somewhere (I prefer *in* the actual config file ;)), and people know/are told where to find them, I'll be happy.

I also prefer in the config file to further away.

less work > more work

at least for me, not for you :P

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."