sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:28:51 +0000

Karsten Behrmann wrote:
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
* The default installed /etc/fstab is missing some common entries, such as:
[...]

I figured fstab was getting a bit cluttery for new users.
That's why there's a default /etc/fstab containing only what you'll
need on a canonical install, and an extra /etc/fstab.example from
which you can copy/paste any extra lines when you need them.

Bleck. I don't particularly like that. Unless it doesn't leave an extra file laying around in /etc ...

If this sort of organization makes sense to everyone (distinguishing
example vs. default), we're going to do it for lilo.conf and menu.lst
as well.

I'd much rather have commented out examples. That's one of my favorite things about shorewall. And when .sample files are provided, I usually just mv them to .conf. So that's my humber opinion on this.