sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:25:44 -0800

Quoting Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de>:
I stronlgy object to the onetime run idea in the strict one time sense.
I've had too many linux installations fail after the first boot due to
various reasons (wrong kernel parameters, fancy stuff I changed during
install that I screwed up, ...). I like the idea that the message goes
away by its own, but I suggest a grace period of some days or some
number of reboots instead of a now-or-never chance.

I like Remko's idea with the manpages, so we could place something
like "echo Type in 'man afterboot' for further instruction or edit
~/.bash_login to remove this message." into root's .bash_login. That
one line doesn't use up much screen estate while at the same time it
gives enough information to get started.

I like the manpage idea, but who'll write it? :) As for where the information is portrayed I prefer /etc/motd rather than a user-specific and shell-specific login script.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285