sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:03:00 -0600

Martin Spitzbarth wrote:

>>> We're working on this. There's some concern over what exactly would
>>> be the best way to handle this. It will be resolved for stable
>>> though.
>> I mentioned a onetime run script with a README file in /root
>> It'd run the first time root logs in. Display that there's a README
>> file (or maybe less the README for them, but that's kinda annoying)
>>

> I stronlgy object to the onetime run idea in the strict one time sense.
> I've had too many linux installations fail after the first boot due to
> various reasons (wrong kernel parameters, fancy stuff I changed during
> install that I screwed up, ...). I like the idea that the message goes
> away by its own, but I suggest a grace period of some days or some
> number of reboots instead of a now-or-never chance.

Well, it'd be part of root's .bashrc. So you'd only see it upon first
successful bootup. And the README will remain, just you won't be told
about it.

> I like Remko's idea with the manpages, so we could place something
> like "echo Type in 'man afterboot' for further instruction or edit
> ~/.bash_login to remove this message." into root's .bash_login. That
> one line doesn't use up much screen estate while at the same time it
> gives enough information to get started.

That'd work too, but that's basically the same thing I'm saying.
Slightly different implementation, however.

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |