sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:32:01 -0500

Eric Sandall (eric AT sandall.us) wrote [08.01.23 16:07]:
> I like the manpage idea, but who'll write it? :) As for where the
> information is portrayed I prefer /etc/motd rather than a
> user-specific and shell-specific login script.

I believe tboatman said that he would be willing to help out with
writing up documentation :). I'll be writing up some documentation as
well, when I have a little more time (this weekend, possibly sooner).
However, whether or not the documentation goes into a manpage, motd,
whatever, will be determined once that's settled. It seems like a lot of
people are voicing preference for /etc/motd and/or manpage.

The one issue that concerns me about the manpage is that it would be
installing something extra onto the users system. I prefer to only
install what is necessary, and even then have it be something the user
at least knows about if not decides. Therefore, what does everyone think
of adding something to the installation routine along the lines of
asking the user if they want the documentation/warning/etc. installed
onto their system, with a default to yes? In the devel ISO, this would
probably just get implemented as an extra step we tell the user to do,
and they can choose to ignore the step and skip it if they don't want
the docs.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage