sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Leaving for Good.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Leaving for Good.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:25:48 +0000

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:36:28 -0800
"David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the past couple of years I've realized that my priorities have
> changed. I've not had enough time to put into Source Mage that its
> demanded and I just don't have the energy to continue being in my
> current position in Source Mage. I've been one of the people
> responsible for having a short quorum on the last election and I'm
> guilty of missing several elections before that. I've gotten to the
> point where I understand a lot about other distributions and how
> they've solved various problems and reinventing the wheel in Source
> Mage is getting tired.
>
> Say what you want about how legitimate my excuses are, its very plain
> and simple, If you have the passion for doing something you'll
> continue to make time to do it. I've lost the passion somewhere and
> I'd rather not continue to pretend like I still have it.
>
> Thanks for teaching me about Linux.
>
> - David Brown

I'm sorry to see you go too. I was wondering why I hadn't seen you in IRC in
so long. Source Mage is a heavy commitment, especially if you're used to
doing things differently. I've had to set it aside twice, and that when I was
only using & not developing for it.

Regarding reinventing the wheel, I frankly didn't like the solutions the
major distros found for some problems and I'd rather reinvent the wheel than
put up with a squeaky high-friction one, ;) but I do understand how difficult
it is to use related complex systems that differ in only some of their
details. No doubt leaving Source Mage will leave you freer to concentrate on
the more mainstream Linux stuff, and I quite understand that.

Wishing you the best of success in your other endeavours,

Ethan "eekee" Grammatikidis