sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage and alternative init

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Elisamuel Resto <ryuji AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage and alternative init
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:36:37 -0400

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:05:57 -0300, Ismael Luceno
<ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Elisamuel Resto escribió:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:06:39 +0800, "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim"
> > <jfs.world AT gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >> try reading the upstart faq. It mentions libupstart... If u need
> >> any further information, u'll have to fish on it on ur own. ;P I'm
> >> not very inclined to go the upstart way right now - especially
> >> given that it's set to become a rather complex piece of... "stuff"?
> >
> > Set to become a rather complex software? it's idea is complex by
> > design, yes, but it's not set to replace something like dbus or
> > acpid/apmd. The only two mentions of libupstart I see are about if a
> > program needs to, for example, read kernel events and send them to
> > upstart for something to happen... I think something along the lines
> > of ifplugd events to restart network init scripts. That's all that
> > is mentioned there. Apart from that, I find it possible to use.
> >
> > There's also initng, I've used it before on Gentoo, but never really
> > got my hands dirty with it, so yeah.
> >

> You still can get your hands dirty with InitNG ;). We're working on
> some cool stuff now, so anyone that wants to join us will be welcomed.
>
> btw, I'm watching the development of upstart, still haven't found
> anything interesting...
>
> If I found something, I will steal it for InitNG ;P.

Looking at the signature and the name, I dare say that the current
maintainer of InitNG monitors smgl's list ... cool!

I've seen that initng has a gtk tool for easier manipulation of it,
that has a plus in my book... the ifiles are something I have to study
however, since smgl's come from SysV.

Hello from Puerto Rico :)

--
Elisamuel Resto <ryuji AT mages.ath.cx>