sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage and alternative init

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage and alternative init
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:44:07 -0500

On Apr 09, "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> On 18:02:27 2007-04-09 Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:

> > > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Init_Plans
> > >
> > > This is the project that's working on researching various inits we
> > > might use etc...
> >
> > Sorry, but no, this is just the wiki page you put up after the last
> > round of conversation on this topic. I wouldn't call it a project
> > until there's some kind of follow through on it or even just more of a
> > methodology listed on there beyond a list of init systems to research.
> >

> Erm it has a list of things to check for each init etc...
> If you have further suggestions on the methodology of researching this
> please provide some and I'll add it. I'm still planing on providing a
> preliminary report by the next meeting.

I described the methodology I would prefer to see last time this was
discussed. The main steps were to get us a more supported minimal
simpleinit replacement ASAP, then get some other systems in as
alternatives, then eventually find a way to manage the different kinds of
init scripts and switch between them. The first step is potentially
optional if someone wants to start on the second step and gets really good
progress on it.

Your wiki page still basically reads as though the notion is to research a
bunch of inits and move us from simpleinit to one other one, and that's
really not the goal IMO. Even the short-term potential goal of replacing
simpleinit with something supported isn't represented there; that shouldn't
be a long process if it happens and it shouldn't include every init system
someone can think of because the focus should be on something that can be a
quickfix without needing to change our existing scripts.

The best progressive thing someone can do for this right now is just to
take a few days and implement $init_of_their_choice to run a system and get
that into spells.