sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:07:10 +0100

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 02:33:10 Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:
> > as you may know, kde4, based on qt4, is very different to kde3, and
> > is due for
> > release at the end of the year. The kde project has started to release
> > some developer snapshots.
> >
> > I have manage to write a spell which can compile kdelibs4 on a spare
> > partition, as a 64 bit system using xorg-modular. If nobody else has
> > already looked at this, I will gradually add the complete set of kde4
> > spells and then release a separate kde4 section or grimoire, otherwise I
> > shall just stop the experiment
>
> Hey Treeve, how far along are you with this? I would like to help with
> the KDE4 packages, but do not want to duplicate any work you have done.
>
> I assume you've already looked at these pages for information:
> http://developernew.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version
> http://developer.kde.org/build/compilationfaq.html
> http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php (outdated, but
> might still be helpful)
> http://developer.kde.org/build/trunk.html (for building from SVN checkouts)
>
> They're up to 3.80.3 at http://kde.org/info/3.80.3.php.
>
> I've noticed that there are no packages for kde-i18n nor kdebindings,
> but they've added kdepimlibs.

my kde4 spells are version 3.80.3 and at present I have
kdebase4 kdelibs4 kdepimlibs4 kdeadmin4 kdenetwork4 kdepim4

The main differences compared to the kde3 spells are:
section wide FUNCTIONS, with default_build appropriate to kde4
DEPENDS: mostly skeleton stuff at present

I have been building them in a spare 64bit partition, which I don't use very
often, because of problems building xorg-modular. I shall now put them on my
main partition which uses plain xorg. Now done.

At present they all install to /opt/kde4, but that is a one line entry in the
section/FUNCTIONS file.

I will merge them all in the test grimoire.

It is quite quick to add extra spells:
mostly modify an existing one, edit the description and use the kde3 version
as a model for the dependencies. I usually compile the basic spell and check
what is reported regarding optional depends, and adjust the spell
accordingly.

--
Regards, Treeve