sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] experimental KDE4
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:38:55 +0100

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:07:10 Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 02:33:10 Eric Sandall wrote:
> > Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:
> > > as you may know, kde4, based on qt4, is very different to kde3, and
> > > is due for
> > > release at the end of the year. The kde project has started to release
> > > some developer snapshots.
> > >
> > > I have manage to write a spell which can compile kdelibs4 on a spare
> > > partition, as a 64 bit system using xorg-modular. If nobody else has
> > > already looked at this, I will gradually add the complete set of kde4
> > > spells and then release a separate kde4 section or grimoire, otherwise
> > > I shall just stop the experiment
> >
> > Hey Treeve, how far along are you with this? I would like to help with
> > the KDE4 packages, but do not want to duplicate any work you have done.
> >
> > I assume you've already looked at these pages for information:
> > http://developernew.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version
> > http://developer.kde.org/build/compilationfaq.html
> > http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php (outdated, but
> > might still be helpful)
> > http://developer.kde.org/build/trunk.html (for building from SVN
> > checkouts)
> >
> > They're up to 3.80.3 at http://kde.org/info/3.80.3.php.
> >
> > I've noticed that there are no packages for kde-i18n nor kdebindings,
> > but they've added kdepimlibs.
>
> my kde4 spells are version 3.80.3 and at present I have
> kdebase4 kdelibs4 kdepimlibs4 kdeadmin4 kdenetwork4 kdepim4
>
> The main differences compared to the kde3 spells are:
> section wide FUNCTIONS, with default_build appropriate to kde4
> DEPENDS: mostly skeleton stuff at present
>

> I have been building them in a spare 64bit partition, which I don't use
> very often, because of problems building xorg-modular. I shall now put
> them on my main partition which uses plain xorg. Now done.
>
> At present they all install to /opt/kde4, but that is a one line entry in
> the section/FUNCTIONS file.
>

> I will merge them all in the test grimoire.
>
> It is quite quick to add extra spells:
> mostly modify an existing one, edit the description and use the kde3
> version as a model for the dependencies. I usually compile the basic spell
> and check what is reported regarding optional depends, and adjust the spell
> accordingly.

I have added a few more spells and updated some dependencies. They all
built
for me this morning. The new build system (cmake) seems to be much more
tolerant of missing dependencies.
We need some spells for missing dependencies, some of which are currently
only
available from svn.
The most important ones will be strigi and decibel. I have some parts of
decibel (tapioca).

All of this is now in a kde4 section, see the NOTES file for more information.

--
Regards, Treeve