sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:30:46 +0100

So we have this adduser script in current spell which has been broken from
the start:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$UID" == 0 ]; then

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
read -p "Username: " NEWSER
else
NEWSER=$1
fi

[ -d /home ] || mkdir /home
groupadd $NEWSER
useradd -m $NEWSER -g $NEWSER -s /bin/bash

[ -d /var/spool/mail ] || mkdir -p /var/spool/mail
touch /var/spool/mail/$NEWSER
chown $NEWSER:mail /var/spool/mail/$NEWSER
chmod 0660 /var/spool/mail/$NEWSER
passwd $NEWSER

echo "default shell for $NEWSER has been set to /bin/bash. Edit /etc/passwd
to change this"

else

su - -c "PATH=$PATH $0 $1"

fi

There are so many things wrong with this... ruskie points out the /home/users
instead of /home ... there's the /var/spool/mail stuff, which is infact
already handled by useradd.
My problem with this script is: Why is it there at all? What is the added
value to useradd? It is a freaking box of explosives doing unasked and
unannounced (help message, query) stuff.
Plain useradd is a lot nicer, for example it allows me to get some usage info
via -h or manpage.
I can set options. Instead of supplying this retarded (no offence, just my
opinion;-) script we should care to make the system defaults of useradd match
a default smgl setup (/home/$USER as home dir, for example).

So, my question of the moment is if this is a gating issue.
Shadow's search column on the stable-rc wiki is marked off and there is no
bug mentioned ... should we change this?

Thomas.