sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable grimoire 0.7 plans

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT t.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Stable grimoire 0.7 plans
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:36:33 -0600

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:09:31PM -0600, David Kowis wrote:
> Andrew Stitt wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 05:01:13PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> >> I don't know that we need or have time for that much hierarchy; this last
> >> time for each case someone did just step up and do it, the only delay was
> >> essentially out of respect waiting for the original person. I think we
> >> just say this time that if we can't reach you for (24? 48?) hours someone
> >> else will be free to decide for you, and will.
> >
> > I meant more for just accountability, so someone always knows whats
> > going on and can make a decision on gating-ness. Then we dont have to
> > guess based on the notes section. It could be left blank most of the
> > time, only used for important stuff near the end of the cycle, like
> > udev/smgl-fhs, or in case the owner is going to leave for a few days.
> >

> Well, we could use a mailing list for discussion rather than irc, or set
> up some sort of irc logger and post the daily irc discussions to the
> list. Of course we'd have to dedicate a channel and only give voice to
> those that have stepped up for spells. That way we could keep up with
> the logging of what is going on and what is being talked about. Then
> it's relatively easy to figure out what's been going on.

I think that might be too formal. There wasnt really a problem with
not having an avenue through which to communicate, it was just when a
question came up, there was no one to ask for an authoratative answer.
I think its better to have a person who can answer questions than just
a log.

There is a channel for this though, #sourcemage-grimoire. We can continue
to focus grimoire discussion there. There wasn't a problem with people
speaking out of turn last cycle, so I dont see a need for voicing privleges.
We used to have an sm-grimoire mailing list, but generally speaking most
stuff doesn't get elevated to ML discussion, ML's are more formal than
irc. Things usually get resolved on bugzilla or on irc. So I dont yet
see the value in a new mailing list. sm-discuss is working fine.

-Andrew