sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Buggy grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Alexander Tsamutali" <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Buggy grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:32:09 +0500

The biggest problem, IMHO.

My proposal, i know that many would not like this, but i see no other
ways. Let's make our stable grimoire smaller, say ~1000 spells or even
smaller. Thus we can cut down resources needed to run prometheus and
fix bugs and prepare better release. Something like "core" and
"extras" in Fedora. For ex. we can include the following:

DE, WM: xfce, fluxbox, ion3 (no KDE, no GNOME)
Web: firefox, dillo, elinks
Mail: thunderbird, claws, mutt, fetchmail, getmail, procmail
Audio: quodlibet, mpd, various mpd clients
Video: xine, mplayer
IM: gaim, gajim, psi
Web servers: apache, lighttpd
MTA: postfix, exim
POP, IMAP servers: dbmail, dovecot
FTP servers: vsftpd, pureftpd
etc...

I mean for each task or set of tasks we can choose 1-3 _best_ software
packages, make good spells, test them, release them and finally
support them.
For everything else we can create special, community maintained
"extras" grimoire, similar to arch's AUR [0]

So what do you think about it? If someone has another proposals on
this topic pleae post it here, we need it!

[0] http://aur.archlinux.org/

--
Alexander Tsamutali