sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ATA-IDE CD burning

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: copeland1936 AT sbcglobal.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, ruskie AT mages.ath.cx, vlaad AT sourcemage.org, Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ATA-IDE CD burning
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:41:50 -0500

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 16:25, Daniel Goller wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:37:04 +0200
>
> Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> > Le mardi 10 octobre 2006 à 16:30 -0500, copeland1936 AT sbcglobal.net a
> >
> > écrit :
> > > I am having trouble burning CD's with K3B. I find on the cdrtools
> > > website that Linux 2.6.8.1 broke ATA-IDE CDROM cd writing for
> > > cdrecord.
> >
> > That problem has been solved for a long time.
> >
> > > Anybody had that problem? If so what it the fix, if any? The
> > > website says an original recent cdrecord deals with the problem.
> > > What does original mean?
> > >
> > > All very confusing! I am running "cdrtools 2.01.01a17".
> >
> > What kind of permissions did you choose in the spell configuration ?
> > Default "burning_group_users" ? Is so, did you follow the instructions
> > at the end of the cast which indicate that your user must belong to
> > the burning group ?
> > Anyway did you try to run k3b as root ?
>
> my cdrecord, for which i chose to use burning as group as before is
> installed as root:root here, i just changed the group of it to burning
> to allow k3b to execute cdrecord, looking at the k3b debug info it was
> obvious it was permissions related since i couldn't "find" it.
>
> but not until we set chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord does k3b start w/o
> complaining about missing root priviliges and start burning
>
> so all groups aside, chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord should let you burn
>
> oddly enough i feel i have been down this road before and was told i am
> wrong.....
> so i imply no warranties
>

> Daniel

Problem solved guys. I have had the permissions problem before and just
always burn as root. Also I am using kernel 2.6.18. HOWEVER, NONE OF THIS
WAS THE PROBLEM.

I am ashamed to admit this, but in a way it is comical. I am afraid this
will
impugn my integrity as a SourceMage user. I WAS TRYING TO WRITE TO A DVD-R
DISK. I tried 3 different DVD-R's and none worked. Funny thing is, K3B was
telling me I had a DVD-R(W) in the drive and I finally noticed, changed to
CD-R and all was OK.

Thanks for your help anyway. I am,

Redfaced,
John Copeland in Powderly, Texas