sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ATA-IDE CD burning

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ATA-IDE CD burning
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:25:46 -0500

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:37:04 +0200
Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> Le mardi 10 octobre 2006 à 16:30 -0500, copeland1936 AT sbcglobal.net a
> écrit :
> > I am having trouble burning CD's with K3B. I find on the cdrtools
> > website that Linux 2.6.8.1 broke ATA-IDE CDROM cd writing for
> > cdrecord.
> >
> That problem has been solved for a long time.
>
> > Anybody had that problem? If so what it the fix, if any? The
> > website says an original recent cdrecord deals with the problem.
> > What does original mean?
> >
> > All very confusing! I am running "cdrtools 2.01.01a17".
> >
> What kind of permissions did you choose in the spell configuration ?
> Default "burning_group_users" ? Is so, did you follow the instructions
> at the end of the cast which indicate that your user must belong to
> the burning group ?
> Anyway did you try to run k3b as root ?

my cdrecord, for which i chose to use burning as group as before is
installed as root:root here, i just changed the group of it to burning
to allow k3b to execute cdrecord, looking at the k3b debug info it was
obvious it was permissions related since i couldn't "find" it.

but not until we set chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord does k3b start w/o
complaining about missing root priviliges and start burning

so all groups aside, chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord should let you burn

oddly enough i feel i have been down this road before and was told i am
wrong.....
so i imply no warranties

Daniel