sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Apache 2 Spell . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Apache 2 Spell . . .
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:24:44 -0700

Jason Flatt wrote:
> There is an issue with the apache2 spell (and maybe the apache22 spell,
> though
> I haven't checked) that I wanted to present for possible solutions. It
> seems
> the configure script pretty much ignores any setting of --prefix (and
> related
> options) and will only use settings defined in config.layout. Currently
> the
> spell is set to use the layout of GNU, and that puts everything in
> /usr/local
> (not specifying a layout seems to be pretty close to the same as specifying
> GNU). There isn't a perfect layout choice which maps directly with where
> we
> install files by default.
>
> There are two options, as I see it:
> 1) Use the Debian layout instead, which is the closest to how we do it, of
> the options already available.
> 2) Create a patch where I define a new layout that is exactly how we do it,
> then set the spell to use that layout.
>
> Is it acceptable enough to use the Debian layout, or should I create a
> SourceMage (LSB?) layout? Here is the definition of the Debian layout (if
> you want to see what other layouts are available, see the config.layout
> file
> in the root directory of the source):
>
> # Debian layout
> <Layout Debian>
> prefix:
> exec_prefix: ${prefix}/usr
> bindir: ${exec_prefix}/bin
> sbindir: ${exec_prefix}/sbin
> libdir: ${exec_prefix}/lib
> libexecdir: ${exec_prefix}/lib/apache2/modules
> mandir: ${exec_prefix}/share/man
> sysconfdir: ${prefix}/etc/apache2
> datadir: ${exec_prefix}/share/apache2
> iconsdir: ${datadir}/icons
> htdocsdir: ${prefix}/usr/share/apache2/default-site/htdocs
> manualdir: ${htdocsdir}/manual
> cgidir: ${prefix}/usr/lib/cgi-bin
> includedir: ${exec_prefix}/include/apache2
> localstatedir: ${prefix}/var/run
> runtimedir: ${prefix}/var/run
> logfiledir: ${prefix}/var/log/apache2
> proxycachedir: ${prefix}/var/cache/apache2/proxy
> infodir: ${exec_prefix}/share/info
> installbuilddir: ${prefix}/etc/apache2/build
> errordir: ${datadir}/error
> </Layout>

Our htdocsdir is ${prefix}/usr/share/www I believe and sysconfdir is
${prefix}/etc/httpd. I believe using the Debian layout, with minor
changes, would suffice.

We'll want some PRE_BUILD magic to modify the .layout for INSTALL_ROOT. ;)

Many of the configurations probably have some of these (htdocsdir,
libexecdir, etc.) hard-coded and would break with change, so a warning
would definately be in order. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Shock Physics @ WSU