sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] diskless distcc

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: avr <avr AT gnulinux.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] diskless distcc
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:42:15 +0200

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:21:03 -0500
Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:39:50 +0200
> avr AT gnulinux.nl (Andreas) wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > > Nice is it a rootnfs system? or a live cd system?
> >
> > Neither, it runs off ramdisk.
>
> But you could boot this off of a CD for those of use who might have a
> machine in the corner, with working CDROM, but dead hard disk, right?
> (which might also be refered to as live cd, even if we remain in the
> initrd :)

Probably, but I wouldn't really know how to master it to a booting iso.

I just found distccKnoppix,
http://opendoorsoftware.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=114
which does boot off a cdrom.

In fact I'm going to take a look at it myself since its root image is even
smaller
than my initrd, even though I thought mine was pretty minimal.

Friendly,
Andreas