sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Component Lead Nominations: Tome Lead

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Component Lead Nominations: Tome Lead
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:30:02 -0500

On Sep 19, Matthew Clark [MatthewClark AT InLesserTerms.net] wrote:

> Jeremy Blosser wrote:

> >> Yes, I am completely aware of that process. What I mean is, what if
> >> there's
> >> someone out there (someone who's been involved with the SMGL project),
> >> but no
> >> one knows of his web development experience? How would that person be
> >> known to
> >> others so they may consider making a nomination?
> >
> > I'm not really in favor of bringing in an unknown. The main role of the
> > Tome Lead is documentation; that includes the web site but it's a lot more
> > as well. We need someone familiar with sorcery/etc. who is invested. If
> > we don't have that it would still be better IMO to have the existing
> > project members work on the doc duties vs. trying to talk an outsider into
> > it.
> >

> Which is why I said "someone who's been involved with the SMGL project" :).
>
> By the way, this isn't hypothetical...

Sorry I misread some of that.

Like I said the main role of the Tome Lead is docs, not web. If you or
someone wants this job the best thing to do is to start working through the
large backlog of documentation issues. Cleaning up the wiki, updating the
guru handbook, getting permanent docs into drupal, etc. None of those
things requires very special access, and anything that does can be uploaded
by another lead who has access once the content is done.

We need current docs way more than we need web design or the like.