sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Things Spells Should Not Do

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Things Spells Should Not Do
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:41:04 -0700

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:42:28PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> Am Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:38:32 +0200
> schrieb Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>:
>
> > * all querying should be done in ["CONFIGURE"] or rarely in ["PREPARE"].
> > Modify Makefiles if you have to. [maybe this should be bold as it is the
> > main
> > reason for bad interactivity]
>
> Maybe I'm the only one seeing possible confusion by boolean logic, the
> heading says "No-no" (FALSE) so maybe this statement about what should be
> done (TRUE) could be rephrased to start with the no-no case like most of
> the others.
>
> like:
>
> * querying outside of CONFIGURE or PREPARE (you may have to modify
> Makefiles to achieve that)
>
> Similar argument goes for the two lines
>
> *don't use UPDATED (point to DETAILS documentation which includes
> PATCHLEVEL and SECURITY_PATCH)
> *don't use uname, $HOST, ... to detect arch, use SMGL_ARCHSPECS[?] (in
> transition periods don't forget to depend on smgl-archspecs)
>
> That is "Not do not use ..."; I know that not all languages handle multiple
> negation the ways like german does ("not do not" would mean "do" at least
> for me), but one could avoid those possible confusion - but maybe my
> correction is wrong because I already didn't understand what is wrong:
>
> *use UPDATED (instead point to DETAILS documentation which includes
> PATCHLEVEL and SECURITY_PATCH)
> *use uname, $HOST, ... to detect arch (use SMGL_ARCHSPECS[?]; in transition
> periods don't forget to depend on smgl-archspecs)

I agree. the bullets should all be continuations of

"A spell should not ..."

So the statements shouldn't begin with a do not, or specify what spells
should do.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |