sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Things Spells Should Not Do

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Things Spells Should Not Do
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:42:28 +0200

Am Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:38:32 +0200
schrieb Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>:

> * all querying should be done in ["CONFIGURE"] or rarely in ["PREPARE"].
> Modify Makefiles if you have to. [maybe this should be bold as it is the
> main
> reason for bad interactivity]

Maybe I'm the only one seeing possible confusion by boolean logic, the
heading says "No-no" (FALSE) so maybe this statement about what should be
done (TRUE) could be rephrased to start with the no-no case like most of the
others.

like:

* querying outside of CONFIGURE or PREPARE (you may have to modify Makefiles
to achieve that)

Similar argument goes for the two lines

*don't use UPDATED (point to DETAILS documentation which includes PATCHLEVEL
and SECURITY_PATCH)
*don't use uname, $HOST, ... to detect arch, use SMGL_ARCHSPECS[?] (in
transition periods don't forget to depend on smgl-archspecs)

That is "Not do not use ..."; I know that not all languages handle multiple
negation the ways like german does ("not do not" would mean "do" at least for
me), but one could avoid those possible confusion - but maybe my correction
is wrong because I already didn't understand what is wrong:

*use UPDATED (instead point to DETAILS documentation which includes
PATCHLEVEL and SECURITY_PATCH)
*use uname, $HOST, ... to detect arch (use SMGL_ARCHSPECS[?]; in transition
periods don't forget to depend on smgl-archspecs)

My cents...

Thomas.