sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 21:06:07 -0700

Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Friday 05 May 2006 01:11, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
>
>> Well, I guess I should ask, what exactly do we want to call these groups on
>> the web sites? The docs call them 'Lead Developers' and 'General
>> Developers'; do we want to stick with that or something like 'Council of
>> Elders' and 'Council of Developers' (or 'Council of Mages' (or 'Council of
>> Gurus'))?
>
> Sounds good. As ruskie kind of said, we could get much more out our "theme"
> than at the moment.

One reason for not applying the themes to our versions (Sorcery's test,
stable, and devel branches and the devel, test, stable-rc, stable,
z-rejected, and games grimoires) is because non-descriptive names are
confusing. Take, for example, the following:
Grimoires:
terra
agua
air
luna
fuego
apothecary

Now, which do you think is which? I thought of them as:
apothecary = devel (drugs kill people, and devel kills machines)
agua = test (water is fluid and often changing)
terra = stable (the earth is very stable)
luna = stable-rc (the moon is less stable than the earth, but orbits it)
fuego = z-rejected (fiery and unstable)
air = games (nothing of substance here, just fun! ;))

Note I am not proposing these names, just trying to point out why I
prefer the current naming scheme for our branches to picking arbitrary
names.

>> Hopefully we can pick something there without needing a vote or anything.
>> ;-P
>
> More voting or not, I want to suggest that the 51 % in the docs be changed
> 50+ %, or something like that. Nitpicking perhaps, but I'd like it more
> that
> way.
<snip>

I believe David Brown wanted that as well. ;) Either of you can propose
an Issue Vote to change the policy to that.

- -sandalle

- --
http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Shock Physics @ WSU