sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev module loading order

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev module loading order
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 05:01:14 +0300

On Thursday 13 April 2006 19:23, Chris Dombroski wrote:
> Quoting Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>:
<snip>
> > What I've described here is imho the last and most annoying thing
> > standing between us and The Future(TM). Yes, kill the beast that is
> > hotplug. So I'm asking for ideas on how we could at least ensure that the
> > network interfaces are consistent from boot one. Maybe add a script to
> > the udev spell which automatically creates 00-binding.rules to carve the
> > interface loading order in stone? I don't think it would be difficult.
> >
> > Juuso
>
> I don't know about an automatic way of doing something intelligent,
> but writing persistent device rules looks to be pretty simple (#1).
> I've written rules for the cards on my firewall; I haven't tested them
> outside of udevtest yet, but they should work:
>
> root@creator:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/00-persistent-net.rules
> KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="00:20:18:d9:49:19",NAME="eth0"
> KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="00:04:5a:7a:d3:01",NAME="eth1"
<snip>

That's exactly what I had in mind. I use those rules too. It would be good if
we could automatically add them.

The tricky part is extracting the required info (MAC addresses). It can be
done with ifconfig, but first we have to make sure that the drivers are
_loaded_ in the first place. Otherwise there's not much to read from.

Juuso