sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to use chrootgen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to use chrootgen
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:25:29 -0700

It has a fairly large usage message, but heres what you do.

run cast with all the spells you want to remember the settings for

run chrootgen.sh backup --backup_dir /path/to/somewhere

copy /path/to/somewhere to other machines

on the other machines:
run chrootgen.sh restore --restore_dir /path/to/somewhere
run cast again with those spells

What it does is copy all the stored persistent answers and dependency
info, then when you cast those spells, cast will see the answers you've
already given from the other machine.

Of course, theres no stopping spells from doing regular queries and not
checking for a default anywhere. However, as far as I know the cauldron
team uses this for their iso generation process and gets consistent results.

-Andrew